Saturday, April 23, 2005

A whole new world

Since yesterday I've been looking at the world in a completely new and different perspective. And while this new world is a great deal more comfortable, the view sucks. This past summer I did something that I was unaware of at the time but has apparently changed the rest of my life for the worse. In less then a month's time, I managed to tear both of my corneas. I thought little of it at the time as it wasn't terribly painful and seemed to fix itself in a matter of days. What I was unaware of was the extent of the actual damage it had done to my eyes. For the past 15 years, I've worn contacts. Big thick ones. I'm more or less blind without them. However since this past summer, I've been having a harder and harder time dealing with bright lights. So I went in and got my eyes checked. They were pretty bad. The tear-ers don't seem to be working properly and the tearing of my corneas, despite my fast healing rate, left behind "superficial damage" that makes it so bright lights actually hurts me. Not fun. Not fun at all. The solution? Permeated contacts or glasses.

So I tried the contacts. They helped the tear-er problem emensly but still didn't solve the bright lights. And even being permeated they still dryed up real bad once the weather got warm. So last night I got glasses. Transition lenses. Anti-glare. Magnetic clip-on shades. Industrial strength frames that were still thin enough that I could look sexy in them. And last but not least, lenses that are 1/4" thick. And yes, that is as thick as a coke bottle. In short, I bought an $800 dollar pair of glasses. Fortunately, I flirted with the eye doctor so she let me use her AAA card for a 30% discount. She was old enough to be my mom, but she thought I was cute, and after all, money is money.

Here's seven and a half reasons why glasses suck:

1. Water. Contacts don't get rain on them. And if they do, it makes them feel better. Glasses don't work in the rain. They get all blurry and everything looks fuzzy. I can't go swimming. While not reccomended, I could wear contacts in the water. Now I'm gonna be swimming into the walls of the pool and into other peoples feet. And I can't wear glasses in the shower either. Which means that when I'm having shower sex with my beautiful wife, I don't get to see her. She is just a fuzzy blur. I suppose I'd be okay with that if she was ugly, but she's not so it's just one more thing I have to miss out on.

2. Fog. Like water, fog also makes glasses shitty. If its too hot out, they fog up. If its too cold out, they fog up. If its too humid, they fog up. If its too arid, they fog up. What the fuck? We've had glasses for a couple hundred years now and they still can't figure out how to make a lense that doesn't fog up everytime you breathe without smearing on half an inch of green gooey shit all over it first?

3. Appearance. I look like a nerd now. Some people can make glasses look sexy. I'm not one of them. With my shaved head and scarred face, it just doesn't work. I gotta stick to rough and tumble looks to make myself look sexy becuase the professional look is awfully stupid when you have scars across your chin and cheeks and are usually recovering from a scratch, cut, or tear in the flesh at any given time.

3.5. Appearance (part 2). I went to buy alcohol tonite. The lady didn't beleive it was me on my license. Glasses suck and so do dumb cashiers at Meijers.




4. Clip-on shades. Mine have little magnets in them that attach to little magnet receivers on the frames. While I have very nimble fingers, it still takes me over five minutes to figure out how to get the things to stick together right. (must be my bad hand-eye coordination)

5. Bubble vision. Glasses are great as long as you are looking directly at what you want to see. If I look to either side though it becomes like that bubble screen-saver that comes with M$ Windows. And perifial vision is non-existant. Well as long as you don't count that huge fucking black line where the edge of my frame should be.

6. Durability. With contacts, I could take them out, step on them, put them in my mouth, roll them up into little balls and nine times out of ten they wouldn't rip or tear. Not so with glasses. Glasses break easy and scratch even easier. So now I have to worry about dropping them or putting them away properly. I have to worry about when a cop nails me in the head with the butt of his rifle becuase I called him a pig and told him I was having sex with his mother. I can't just let people hit me in the face with shovels and baseball bats. This is just so much extra stress that I don't need.

7. Cost. If I rip a contact it costs me about $10 to replace it. If damage my glasses, it costs me $800 to replace them. Well $500 if I flirt with someone with a AAA card. I suppose if I ate her out I would have gotten her employee discount on top of that, but she was old enough to be my mom and though she wasn't bad looking, I gotta stop somewhere.

14 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

Great!!! I get another DORK to hang out with!

Lights suck. I wake up in the morning and both shower and brush my teeth with only a little orange LED to guide me. Why? My pupils don't close very quickly and the sudden light change sends waves of pain through my head. Plus, I have a minimum pupil size that isn't sunlight friendly so I wear big huge welding goggles while it's daylight. The nighttime is the righttime man.

I've owned only two pairs of glasses since 97. Pair 1 is now in better shape than Pair 2, kinda nuts. I've been considering Lasik for a couple of months now since My eyes aren't that bad off.

You should get new corneas of a dead person and put em on.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Couch said...

lasik, im pretty sure will be purchased with next years tax return if i can qualify for it.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger chewy said...

until then you could invest in a bottle of defog like scuba divers use or just keep a couple of pairs of the contacts around for when you want to enjoy the full effect of...ummmm....water sports.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Couch said...

i just got a bottle of the defog crap today. dont know if it works yet or not though.

im hoping my eyes heal quickly so that i can go back to wearing contacts. right now if i try i have to hose them down with saline every 5-15 minutes.

by "water sports" im assuming you mean shower sex. becuase i am definately not into the sexual practice most commonly reffered as "water sports." i know a guy who is, and really gets off on it. but letting someone piss in my mouth makes me want to puke not cum. i suppose i could piss into someone elses mouth if they really wanted me to though. but id never kiss em again thats for sure.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger chewy said...

you assumed correctly. i went out with a guy once that was into having people urinate on him...note i said once.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Couch said...

eeek... those are the kind of things you want to find out very early on in a relationship...

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger chewy said...

well it was our first date...and yet it still didn't seem quite soon enough. work was quite weird after that. one of the many reasons i no longer date people i work with.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

i have a weakness for vodka and bald men with goatees. grow a goatee. :) just a thought. i think you're mighty fine looking but then again what do i know.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Couch said...

gypsy ~ funny you should say that... I normally have a goatee. I regularily change my facial hair and hairdoo as i get bored with it. ive had dreds, braids, long, short, bald, charlie sheen from major league 1 haircut, a clown face engraved into it. henna tattoos when its shaved. hitler mustache. foo man chu's. braided and not braided. beards. sideburns. every color of the rainbow. mohawk. double mohawk. reverse mohawk. bowl cuts. and just about every thing but a handlebar mustache as im not patient enough to grow one out. but thanx for saying im sexy. i wrote you a shout out in tonites post.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

PS: glasses can be damn sexy too on men... if you pick the right kind. Funky black frames like the unisex kind I have are indeed HOT... I've gotten a zillion compliments on my unisex kind from men who say I look "sassy" and "sophisticated" to chicks just saying "love them." ... but what do I know. I'm still single and going to my 20th class reunion solo. I need a date. Gotta any single guy pals who wanna drink some vodka with me July 2nd on the prairie? Let me know.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Amy S. Petrik said...

PPS: I've added your blog to my side bar cuz today you are one of my most favorites to bug. Yippee.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I haven't laughed this hard in a loooong time. Thank you!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Couch said...

any time carrie... glad to be of service...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home