Thursday, April 14, 2005

Top 50 Video Games: Number 38

#38: Galaga
System: Arcade
Publisher: Namco
Released: 1981
Players: 2 (alternating)


One of the alltime arcade classics in action.

In the early eighties, arcade games and home games had something going for them that has since been lost: simplicity. A simple game is one that can be easily approached and played by anyone without any explanation. This kind of game is accessable and encourages people who don't consider themselves gamers to give it a try. Galaga is just such a game. You could park nearly anyone in front of it and they will understand it instantly.

The premise is quite basic: blow up the alien bug things without letting them shoot you or smash into you. Do that and you win the game. Or at very least you'll end up with the coveted High Score. At the start of each stage, the enemies swoop in and get into formation along the top of the screen. They then take turns firing at you and divebombing your ship. Certain members of the alien bug army will come down and attempt to abduct your ship. If succesful, you will lose the ship as the enemy flies back up to the top of the screen with your stolen ship in tow, taunting you. If you shoot your ship's captor without shooting your captured vessel your stolen ship will be returned to you and added on to your current ship. This gives you double the firepower, but double the vulnerablility also. The only real strategic decision to make in the game is whether or not to let your ship get captured.


1981 was a very good year for arcade games. Galaga isn't the only game released that year to make my prestigous list.


I remember my first trip to the arcade when I was very young. It was about 8pm when my father took my sister and I uptown. The arcade was full of lights and the sounds of pinball machines dinging and video games blaring. I remember being impressed at how grown-up it felt to be there. My father played Ms Pac-Man, my sister was at a pinball machine and I happened upon Galaga. I was hooked instantly. My love of Galaga stems from the very first video game I ever remember playing: Space Invaders on the Atari 5200. Space Invaders led to Galaga which led to Galaxian which led to Blazing Lazers. It works much like the bible, where Jebidiah begat Big Nuts who begat Ronnie, etc. Only there's no crucifixion, suffering or eternal damnation. I sense the vehicle starting to veer off the track, so it's time to close this edition of Top 50 games. Galaga Wa-HOOO!!!!

8 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

Reminds me of Gorf. I absolutely loved Gorf. It was space invaders, Laser blast, Galaxian, The rings of uranus, and an independant entity at the same time. It was five levels and after every set of levels your rank would go up. I remember the time I was a two time Space Avenger in the same game. That means I completed 7 sets. I wanna play some Gorf RIGHT NOW!

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

w00t

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

Well Jimbob, if you want to play Gorf RIGHT NOW, the absolute LAST thing you should do is go to www.romnation.net and download the Mame32 emulator and a Gorf ROM. Those things are illegal, so whatever you do, DO NOT click on the above link!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Couch said...

Exactly, becuase the alright guys would never condone the illegal downloading of software, pdfs, or mp3s thru such software as Win MX or buy using roms from ROMNation.NET. We are better then that. We don't each have four copies of Starcraft and Icewind Dale, becuase that would be illegal. And we certainly don't download illegal warez like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop, or the various emulators that are out there.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

That's right Couch. It'd take days to list of the illegal things we haven't done. Law and order every time, that's us.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

As a programmer, I can't stand the idea that anyone would even CONSIDER I visit places like Megagames.com for all the latest cracks hacks and patches for games I haven't copied. It's stupid really. Who would even think about something that sinister?

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Mista Collins said...

Illegal activities? Mayhem? Chaos? We would never think of anything like that. We wouldn't smash TVs and other applainces or randomly throw things, that is just to chaotic. We need order, we need routine.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Jimbob said...

No. Smashing tv's is outraguous.. As if someone would possibly take a huge axe and put it through a television..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home