Saturday, November 06, 2004

The Abyss is beneath my Garden

Today I worked around the house. My wife and I have moved semi-recently and I had a lot of boxes and shit in the garage. I cleaned out the garage and moved my car outside. While doing so, I caught my sock on a discarded roofing staple that the roofers dropped into my parking lot.

I finished with the boxes and set out to transplant a pepper plant from my garden to a pot so I could bring it in for the winter. The roots had grown since I had first planted it and I wanted to be sure I took enough of the roots. I dug deeper and deeper into my garden. Deeper and deeper... way way down. As I was digging, I was digging up bags of various color and other such things. Still I kept going. Deeper and deeper.. way way down.

Suddenly, without warning, My garden caved in. The hole I was digging decided to help out a bit and collased into the opening of a chasm beneath my pepper plant. My first reaction was fear. For all I knew, this was the burrow of a carnivourus monster. I moved back and waited. Nothing. So I examined my new discovery. The hole was roughly 10 inches in diameter and no clue how deep. The angle took it beneath my porch and then more then likely, toward the Earth's core.

I finished potting my pepper plant and then had a new problem. There wasn't enough dirt to fill the abyss I had created. I tried leaves, dirt, but they simply tumbled down into the earth's warm center. So, instead, I sealed the gateway to hell with discarded shingles that the roofers left on my lawn (betcha wondered how I was going to tie that back) and covered that with dirt and leaves.

The hole is sealed, but odds are, whatever intelligence created that opening knows it's been found. Hell itself is about to spring forward from my garden. Who knows how long we have left.

1 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

Both Hellwoman and Bryan S said that this phenomenon is known as a "SINK-HOLE." You been channeling black mana over there in Richmond, buddy? Just a little Magic The Gathering humor for everyone LOL LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home