Sunday, October 31, 2004

Where Dreams Come From. (Spolier)

I had a goofy dream last night. I was walking on the ocean floor with a harpoon gun shooting at Bloopers. When I woke up I said, "Where the hell did that come from." It confused me and I still don't really know. But an experience from 11 years ago might help.

A long time ago, I was a boy scout. It's much like its stereotype counterpart. Camping, Backpacking, lighting fires with one match, etc.. But in the Winter of 93, it became a pschological labrotory.

There was a kid in my group, I'll call him Subject X. Subject X used to be a good friend of mine, but as kids do, they grow apart and together and apart again. During the winter of 93, we were definately on an apart stretch.

One night 5 kids fell asleep in the tent. Myself and Subject X were among them. Subject X mumbled something confusing. Upon further investigation, I realized that subject X was talking in his sleep, but it was two-way communication. Like having an interface into his secondary slot. I learned a gret deal from this. Basically I was able to spawn dreams in Subject X's mind. In programming terms, I had a debugger running on his sub-consious. I'm not sure how this compares and contrasts with hypnotism.

Now with that in mind I realized that In the sleeping mind, our dreams come from our sub-consious mind's attempt to rationalize things our body experiences while sleeping. The easier it is to understand, the more vivid the dream, the harder, the more whacked out. Everybody has had the situation where the radio alarm goes off in the morning, but it doesn't wake you because somehow it played into the dream you were having. That in itself is proof that our environment is tied into our dreams.

If I tell Subject X that he is standing on a ledge within a volcano that sets the dream. The initial elements of the dream are the closest to whatever spawned them. When I ask him to describe it, he says it's Hot, there's Lava, etc.. Bascically he just kindof runs with it. Unless there is further input to keep it going, it tends to die out pretty quick or take left turns. Now, what would happen of he simply listened to drums, or crickets. Odds are pretty unpredictable. One think I can speculate about is that the things we usually ignore as background noise are in the front row in a quiet room. We hear stuff while sleeping that isn't even noticed while awake.

I think that's basically how dreams work. You hear something, it's interpreted, and played on your internal monitors. The more real it is, the more sense it makes. Maybe my underwater experience came from our leaky faucet in the bathroom, or the wind outside. Who knows. I guess the point is to read into them. They're more real than most people give them credit for.

4 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

Actually, I knew what a Blooper was as soon as I read it. But I went to the website and enjoyed it. This rant reminds me of the time I dreamt about seeing Mike Patton on the Muppet Show performing Pink Cigarette. I woke up, went downstairs and immediately sent everyone an email about it. It was too nuts to be allowed to slip into oblivion with the rest of my dreams.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Couch said...

That poor guy has gone through whole bunch of shit in his life since then and its all becuase you fucked with his head when he was younger. HA HA HA.... I think he recently got divorced.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Jimbob said...

Actually I think there was something askew about him prior to me getting a hold on him. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff floating around in his head.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Couch said...

yeah, i remember you guys telling me some of the stuff about CF. still, a dangerous zone to play in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home