Tuesday, January 25, 2005

U-SCAN!!!

U-SCAN!


U scan could be one of the greatest things invented. RIGHT NOW, in your local supermarket, there are lanes where you control the action. You scan it, you bag it, you pay, you walk out. That easy. No more teenager moving at their own pace whe you're in a hurry, no more long line, no hassle. Try U SCAN!

  • Buying something stupid that only you want to know about? U SCAN IT!
  • Only have 1 item in each hand? U SCAN IT!
  • Comfortable with technology? U SCAN IT!
  • Only know Spanish? No Problem. U SCAN IT!
  • Paying by Cash or Credit? no Problem. U SCAN IT!
  • Got Produce? No Problem. U SCAN IT!
  • Got a whole fuckload of groceries? U SCA... Stop the truck. Wait a minute.
I was in Kroger recently and this stupid lady took a full to the top shopping cart through the U-SCAN. I looked on in disbelieve thinking it would take 20 minutes to do that whole load. As I aproached the register, I realized that I forgot my wallet in my car. I left my gallon of milk and tarter sauce next to a "Bratz" display and went and got my wallet. When I returned, she was still there.

Some people say.. "But Jimbob, there's no sign. It doesn't matter how many groceries you have, there's no rule that says you can't do that." OK. There's no sign. I admit that. There are no legal restrictions in effect. It's a courtesy thing. A whole fuckload of groceries it better handled by people with the space to do so. Also, a well-oiled pit crew of checkout people is better experienced to handle a whole fuckload of groceries.

If you have a whole fuckload of groceries, don't use the U-Scan. What you have there is a two person job. Why do it yourself? You'll just make an ass out of yourself.

6 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Only one problem Jimbob. There is a grocery store in Muskegon that ONLY has U-SCAN. No kidding. Every checkout is a U-SCAN. I have not seen it myself but have listen to enough people complain about it. I think it's a little different than what we are use to though because the people complaining were referring to the conveyor belt. I envisioned a more typical looking checkout, just minus the human. By the way, I do believe that at Meijer, the U-SCANs do say "12 or less items". I'd also like to know, how the heck did she fit a whole load of groceries on that damn scale thing? You can't take anything off until you're done or it messes up. I can't imagine everything fitting. I have a hard enough time with only 12 items sometimes, especially if a few of those are 24 packs of pop.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

Well, I didn't stay for the lady's conclusion. She was still there when I left. But I recall on my second pass through the line her scale had reached its capacity. She began stacking, but was having a difficult time. I would think a store of nothing but U-Scans would be a bad thing. Would save a lot of money in wages though. They should all have signs that say 12 items or less.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger chewy said...

i suppose going through the u-scan with a "fuckload" of groceries would be acceptable if you were a professional and could scan faster than the teen ager in the regular line. however the chances of that are pretty slim and there is that pesky problem of the scale. i bet she was calling her self an ass about halfway through that process.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Arethusa said...

But if I can only speak Spanish how will I operate the U Scan if the instructions are in English?

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Couch said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

I can see how you'd have a problem.

The U-Scan's I've encountered are bilingual. They can speak english, or for those south of the border, they can speak in spanish. But, if you came almost to Canada to speak spanish from Mexico, there's something wrong. You would think this far north, it would be more likely to encounter French than Spanish. However as Mr. Nuts can attest, I used to live in a highly dense community of Latino folks and my local grocery store was 75/25 spanish speakers. So maybe my numbers are off. I suppose this has nothing to do with U-Scan. I guess I got a little sidetracked. I hope you see my point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home