Wednesday, May 03, 2006

New Eternia

When I was a kid I used to watch He-Man. He-Man's power came from Castle Greyskull, an impeneterable fortress in Eternia surrounded by a bottomless abyss. A few episodes would discuss the abyss which was truely a pit where once you fell in, you would never hit bottom. Ever.

I wondered what it would be like to fall until I died of thirst or starvation. What if I brought supplies? Could I live a lifetime in a bottomless pit?

What if I built a house which generated power from the wind rushing past. What if I used this power to create food and recycle water? What if I used small parachutes to slow the fall enough to give a little gravity, but still allow free fall flight?

What if I built a falling civilization? Several houses linked together. Entire generations of people living their lives while falling like rocks.

How would these people evolve over time? Wings? Suckers on their feet and hands? Darkvision?

Of course the civilization would probably come to a quick and complete end when they found out there was no such thing as a bottomless pit and all that evolution and technology would be completely destroyed when the town hit the bottom of castle Greyskull's "abyss". It's dumb to thing a group of townsfolk would be so naive as to jump into something so dangerous.