Wednesday, December 15, 2004

High School Stories: The Legend of Shifflet's Field

Back in the day, after school, we would take our cars and go back roading throwing various things at street signs. Shakes, BBQ sauce, mustard, pumpkins, folding chairs, whatever we had on hand. The back road in question was a long winding pathway that had several near right angle turns involved and we traveled it daily.

The car held 4 people. Myself, the driver, the other guy, and the girl.

The Driver was a daredevil. In many of the stunts we pulled, more often than not, he was at the most risk, and in any event that had injurys involved, it was him that received the injurys.

The other guy wasn't as much of a daredevil, but was always good for the ride along. He was the senseable guy.

The girl was terrified of anything remotely dangerous and locked up whenever anything scary happened. We tortured this person to the extreme.

One sunny day on our way to our roadsign destination we approached the first series of curves.

The Driver: "How Fast do you think I can take this?"
Me: "Ummm it's about an 85 degree turn I'd say 30 tops."
The Girl: "NO!"
The Other Guy: [laughs] "30... whatever you'll go off the road."
The Driver: "I can do it..." [accelerates]
The Girl: [to Driver] "STOP IT!!!"

The driver accelerates to 60 mph and begins to take the corner. Of the 85 degrees to turn, he probably made about 2 of them. The car flies off the road and down into a ravine. I have no idea how deep, but I remember thinking how it would never be coming back out.

The Girl: [screaming]
Myself, The Driver, The Other Guy: "WHOA!!!!!!!!!"

The car crashes into a culvert at the bottom of the slope and comes to a stop. Myself, The driver, and the other guy get out. The girl doesn't, she is still searching for her lost mind.

The Girl: [stonefaced and not moving]
Myself: "Holy fuck guys."

The Other Guy scans our path down and sees that it's a fucking miricle no trees were encountered on the way down as this is a forested ravine.

The Other Guy: "How did we miss all that?"
The Driver: "Eh.. wow.. OK, let's see here. Me and [indicates the other guy] will push and you [indicates me] will steer."
Me: "Where am I going?"
The Driver: "Up the other side of the ravine."

At this point, The Girl realizes more adventure is coming and gets out of the car and begins babbleing. I notice that the other side isn't as forested and a straight path to the top is actually possible. I get in and start the car. The Driver and The other guy push and I drive the car to the top. As I break the surface, I find I'm in Mr. Shifflet's yard. I drive through his field and yard and finally turn onto his driveway. (Not before passing him on his lawnmower, but I made sure to use turning signals)

I backtrack and pick up the others. When I get out I find the only damage is to the left front fender and the car is still driveable. We all go home and live to adventure another day.

Thus the legend of Shifflet's Field

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home