Monday, February 07, 2005

FUCK YOU AGAIN Best Buy!!!!

Well, I probably shouldn’t have titled this "Fuck You Again Best Buy." It’s not really their fault. It’s not their policies fault. It’s not any of their employees fault. But since I’ve decided to make Best Buy my whipping boy for the year, I’m going to blame them. Besides, like five of the 30 or so people who actually read this crap, work there. So that’s like one sixth of our total viewers. So here’s to you Geek Squad!

You see, about three years ago, I bought my first DVD player from Best Buy. It was a Panasonic DVD five disk changer, with mp3 and jpg and Kodak capabilities, full surround sound, and all kinds of other crazy features I’ve never had any use for. Three years ago, this thing was the shit. It was the fucking bomb of DVD players. Well, at least to me it was. Actually, to me it was just a good sale and a way for me to spend all of the Best Buy gift certificates I had gotten for Christmas at once.

As usual, with 90% of my Best Buy purchases, I bought the service plan. And it was a good fucking thing too. After only a few months of owning the thing, it broke down. The Geek Squad shipped it away to their homeboys at the service center and a few weeks later I got back a working Panasonic five disk changer, with mp3 and jpg and Kodak capabilities, full surround sound, and all kinds of other crazy features I’ve never had any use for. I was happy again. Complete. Whole with my television and my small collection of DVD disks.

About a year later, it died again. Same “HO7” error message. Same problem. Same results. So I took it into Best Buy and the Geek Squad shipped it away to their shorties at the service center and a few weeks later I got back a working Panasonic five disk changer, with mp3 and jpg and Kodak capabilities, full surround sound, and all kinds of other crazy features I’ve never had any use for. I was happy again. Complete. Whole with my television and my then growing collection of DVD disks.

Then in July of 2004, it died again. Same “HO7” error message. Same problem. Same results. So I took it into Best Buy and the Geek Squad shipped it away to their g-dawgs at the service center and a few weeks later I got back a working Panasonic five disk changer, with mp3 and jpg and Kodak capabilities, full surround sound, and all kinds of other crazy features I’ve never had any use for. I was happy again. Complete. Whole with my television and my 100+ collection of DVD disks.

Mr. Nuts informed me of Best Buy’s Lemon Policy. Apparently, if something has already broken down three times, when you bring it in the fourth time they give you a new one. I saw a light. A faint shimmering bulb in the back of my brain-skull. It whispered to me. First quietly, then progressively louder. Finally it just fucking yelled “BREAK YOUR DVD PLAYER!!!” So since July that has been my goal. But I had to break it in such a way as to be the products fault and not mine. A trick if there ever was one.

So I put an old dusty scratched up DVD in and let it play. That DVD player has been playing movies 24-7 since July. I’d find movies that would repeat themselves automatically and leave them in there for weeks. It’s not like I watch movies that often. And usually if I do it’s on HBO.
Well last night, my daughter went to the emergency room for breathing problems. Apparently her throat decided to stop working for some reason. A long night sleeping on a very uncomfortable hospital recliner, a couple of shots of steroids, and a few breathing treatments (and a lot of fucking money) later, she was breathing again. So we brought her home. She was still irritable and wanted to watch a movie. Now she doesn’t normally like movies or television all that much. But the one thing she watches without fail is Spongebob Squarepants. So I checked Nickelodeon, and it was playing Fairly Odd Parents. So I put in our Spongebob DVD. Disk reading. Disk reading. Disk reading. “HO7” Only one word parsed my lips. fuck.

So I called the Best Buy service department. Had them check to see when the warranty expired on my Panasonic five disk changer, with mp3 and jpg and Kodak capabilities, full surround sound, and all kinds of other crazy features I’ve never had any use for. After several minutes of waiting, the lady came back on line to tell me my service plan ended on January 26th. Here’s to you… FUCK YOU AGAIN BEST BUY!

5 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Couch said...

Ive had a fascination with "Alice's resturarant" style of ranting lately. It's been awhile since I heard that song. Might have to sit down and listen to it sometime soon when I got 25 free minutes...

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

Isn't there a way to cheat the system? How much is the cheapest extension they offer? Would it offset the cost of a new one?

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Couch said...

i dont think they offer extensions unless they replace whatever you bring in. and then its more or less buying a new policy. the only nice thing about it is that the extension then covers the original cost of whatever you bought, unless you spend more and then it covers that amount. I think my printer policy is around $350 as i keep taking them back in and they keep replacing it and i keep updating it. im hoping when this one breaks (about $200) that color laser printers will be down to around $350 so i can upgrade to one of those.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

It sounds to me like the player was good for another 3000+ movie viewings. Unfortunately, these were spent playing the same disk repeatedly while not hooked up to a Viewing Device. You got what you wanted when you didn't want it anymore.

LOL

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Couch said...

If i ever have any luck its bad. not that i beleive in luck, but if there were such a thing, mine would be bad all the time. If murphy's law didnt disagree with my personal beliefs so much i would have incorporated it into it...

Yeah, trin's doing good today. first time shes ate in three days. we're working our way through a bag of sweet & salty honey nut chex mix while we dance to mr. bungle playing in the background. good company. good music. good food. good times...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home