Sunday, January 02, 2005

Mother-in-Laws

Let me preface this by saying that normally I like my mother-in-law. She's been very good to us the last few years by watching our kids a lot and stuff like that. Lately, she's been annoying the crap out of us because she has a noticeable preference to our son over our daughter. We've been subtly having her watch our daughter more and more without our son. In fact, last Sunday after church, when she normally always asks to take Jadyn home for the afternoon (never Trinity unless we ask her to take Trinity also), we managed to get her to take just Trinity while we took Jadyn to see The Incredibles (good movie). However, today takes the cake. I am, at the moment, thoroughly pissed off at my mother-in-law. The kids spent New Years with Grandma. Couch and I rented a jacuzzi suite at a local hotel and had a party of our own (with about a dozen families who were all there together, was quite a party actually). Today we went to pick the kids up. As always, Trinity ran for me when she saw me. I picked her up, took one look at her and got PISSED. I preceded to bite my tongue, tell Couch to get their bags, and got out of there as quickly as possible. The reason...My daughter now has bangs. Yes, my mother-in-law CUT my daughter's hair. I probably wouldn't have cared except for two reasons. One, we were growing her bangs out. I hate bangs. And two, more importantly, I was waiting until she was two to go and do the whole big First Hair Cut thing. Yup, that's right. My mother-in-law not only gave her a haircut but it was her FIRST haircut. Trinity is Couch's and my's last child. We can not have anymore. I am a very sentimental type person and that fact that she stole this milestone from me has me extremely upset. As soon as we got in the van, Couch asked me what was wrong. He hadn't noticed. He suggested that maybe a toy or gum had got caught in it and she'd had no choice. I pondered that, but figured she'd have mentioned it if that was the case. I had him call her when we got home. Nope, no toy, no gum. She said "yeah, I put it up in pigtails and there was some sticking out so I cut it off". WTF? She and I have had conversations about the fact that I was waiting until Trinity was two to cut her hair. We've talked about her bangs and how I wanted to grow them out. I just don't understand. She asked if I was upset and proceeded to say she was sorry a bunch of times, but still. Like Couch told her, I will live (and yes, I know there are more important issues in the world to get upset about) but I'm still mad.

9 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Couch said...

If I didn't know better, I'd probably bitch slap you hot_grrrl. Though you might wanna check out "like."
http://www.blogger.com/profile/3363270
You two have something in common. You both can't read.

You really should put up your own blog. I'm sure it would be an excellent spoof.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacey-
OMG I would be soooo pissed off. I totally understand and if my MIL ever did such a thing i would be lived also. Well I guess when she is two hopefully her bangs will be somewhat long and u can just "pretend" its her first haircut. I actually did that with Alex's first Real bath. Jami and i were out and Tony gave him a bath and took no pictures, so i had to re-play the whole thing and just take my own as his first bath. As you Alex is "probably" or last so i wanted it to be special too.
A.K.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

I sure hope hotgrrrl_15 becomes a regular. Not only does she type in mixed case and uses acronyms, but now she's a confirmed easy HJ.

O no you wouldn't bitch slap her Couch bc I'd hammer u with a fuking flaming shouvel and send u into a talspin ank dhu wiz my alkn vomshinf asshole!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Couch said...

oh, im pretty sure shes gonna be a regular... unless she blows up into a void and is forced to get on a pirate ship full of bollistas, animals, and lots of treasure...

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Arethusa said...

I have no idea what's going with the comments today but I must say I would have probably started to rant on the door-step if it were my mother-in-law. I'm working on being more diplomatic though, really I am.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

I am deathly afraid of Couch's mother. I always will be. I believe her to be the embodiment of evil on this earth. The demon lives within her and I have seen it. A story:

The year was 1996. Couch and I had gone to watch the late showing of Alien Resurrection (I believe we'd planned to see something else, but we were late) Couch was supposed to be home by 1am or something like that. The movie was 2 and a half hours long, so we got back after 2am.

This is the time to take a break in the story to relate the Mrs S that I had come to know up to that point. She was very Christian, often (to my knowledge) embracing the darker side of the faith; the "this is evil, that is evil, don't do these things or god and your father will smite you" sort of parent. She always was civil and hospitable, but lacked any semblance of warmth. She did not use foul language and was offended by it.

We returned to Couch's place shortly past 2am. I followed Couch through the front door. The lights were off, which was to be expected at such an early hour. Suddenly the lights flicked on and Couch stopped dead in his tracks, forcing me to crash into him like a 3 stooges skit. Mrs S was standing there by the light switch, staring at Couch. Her eyes were yellow and glowing, I shit you not. "Joshua, you're in deep SHIT." she said slowly and distinctly. My brain went into shutdown. I stood there with my jaw open, not knowing what to do. The urge to flee was powerful; I was tempted to throw sand in her eyes, grab Couch and make a run for it.

"Goodnight Bryan" she said, turning her death gaze towards me. I stumbled backward towards the door, said something clever like "Uh....umm...b....I gotta go bye Couch" before throwing the door open and running. I realize this story has no bearing on your post Stacey, I just enjoy the telling.

Oh yeah...one more thing: who invited hotgirl? It's like having a simpleminded, incoherant monkey posting. OMG WTF

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Yeah, I've heard the story several times. One for the history books because in the 5 years I've been married to Couch and the 2 years before that, I have NEVER heard his mother use a cuss word. Not once. Not through the whole divorce and all that went with it, never. So, yeah, Couch was in big trouble that night.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Couch said...

ah... but she has a dark side... ive done my homework... ive seen her skeletons... she is no less a hypocrite as myself... someday maybe she'll piss me off enough to post them... someday...

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

I remember the time we were all in Couch's basement and I was banging a broom handle against the ceiling around 3am. She bellowed his name. I actually felt like I had sentenced him to die myself. As he walked away I considered taking the basement exit and maybe hiding in the field for the night. Yes, Mr. Nuts.. Couch's mom is quite scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home