Tuesday, October 05, 2004

High School Stories: Care for a Crabapple Jenny?

During my 8th grade year, I had Drama class. It is as it sounds, a group of young people doing plays and stuff. Actually quite a fun class to take as it's mostly just being nuts for a whole year.

There was a prop room adjecent to the classroom. There was where students would wait for their que and where prop items were stored. It was a secluded area and out of line of sight of anybody in authority.

Jenny was in this class. I'm not sure if I liked or disliked Jenny, I guess I was rather indifferent. She was the kind of person that was ok to talk to in short quantitys, but was pscyologically unstable and had pretty broad mood swings. I guess I was indifferent because I never really knew what to expect.

One day in the prop room while practicing a play I found a Crabapple on the floor. I had no idea how long it had been there, but I decided to hang onto it. Later, Jenny was in a good mood and I decided to throw my apple over there just to be funny. Two things were bungled in this process. The first was the power behind the throw had been critically underestimated. The second was likely based on the first, my shot went a little high. As the apple was travelling, somebody shut out the lights. I had just enough time to see the apple strike it's target, directly between the eyes. I saw her head snap back, and then darkness.

In the darkness I pondered my last vision. I knew she wore eyeglasses. My vision of her shattered glasses being driven into her eyes was a bit scary. Did she know it was me? There had been a lot of noise just prior to the throw, maybe nobody noticed?

The lights came back on. My first reaction was to seek out Jenny. To my credit/discredit the crabapple was rotten. It has splattered on impact covering her face in rotten crabapple sludge. She was trying to clean her glasses at the time. Nobody seemed to notice.

She left the room to go clean up and when she returned, she kneed me in the balls. Fortune smiled though, as her aim was off that day too. You can bet I sure as hell pretended it hurt though. I didn't want to really get hit by that one.

1 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger Couch said...

LMAO... nice... i didn't know you ever took drama class. which jenny?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home