Monday, January 10, 2005

Movie Review: Closer

Mike Nichols - Director
Patrick Marber - Author/Screenwriter


Natalie Portman - Alice
Jude Law - Dan
Julia Roberts - Anna
Clive Owen - Larry
Nick Hobbs - Taxi Driver
Colin Stinton - Customs Officer


Even with an all star cast, it still sucks.

I want my gift certificate back. That was a real boring pile of shit. I could relate to the characters no problem, but like I've seen mentioned before it felt as if they were just people reading lines. The movie was over drawn out with plenty to look forward to and nothing to be given. I do think Clive Owen did a remarkable job at some points. He was about the only actor who showed any glimpse of emotion thruout the whole fucking thing. Plus, his character was the easiest for me to identify with. A bit on the animalistic side and rather blunt. Plus the whole movie is done in an english accent. Yes, I understand it takes place in England. I'm not bitching about that or the accent. But after just watching the Rainbow TV episode, it was really hard to hear the word "wank" without laughing. Also, the rating of R is bullshit. There was no sex. There was almost no nudity. The swearing was mostly in british. Lots was implied, but nothing was ever shown. should have been nc17 or pg13.

There were however three redeeming moments in the movie.

1. The scene where Larry and Dan are chatting with each other in the cybersex chatroom.

2. The scene where Larry finally gets Anna to confess how great of a lover Dan is and then he tells her thank you and to fuck off.

and finally...

3. The point when I left the theater with my wife and she said "I wanna fuck." Apperantly she found the film erotic. Though I would hardly bill it as a chick flick. More like a shit flick. But hey, if it gets ya laid, more power to it.


Closer scores 1 wombat out of 4

12 Comments:

At 3:51 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

One of things I'm always aware of when watching movies is the dialogue: Do the characters speak the way real people speak day to day or so their words sound fabricated? The delivery is also important, of course.

Is swearing in British different in some way? British isn't like German or Japanese, right?

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Couch said...

not exactly... for example... where i would say "fuck", nine times out of ten they would say "wank". the words are different. if someone told me to "wank off", i probably would care less becuase it doesn't really mean anything here. where as if someone told me to "fuck off", i might get offended. its like when people used to make up swear words in elementary school. its kind of hard to find something offensive if you have no idea what it means.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Arethusa said...

NC 17 is MORE restrictive than Rated R, silly. Other than, I agree (as you already know).

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Couch said...

really? i didnt know that... i always thought nc-17 meant you had to be 17 to watch and r meant you had to be 18. learn something new everyday...

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

The NC stands for No Children. No Children under 17 allowed, period. Parent or no.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Couch said...

i did not know that... i always figured it was for negative content or something rediculous like that. so basically its an x movie you can show in theaters?

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Mr_Nuts said...

That is correct. You almost never see NC-17 films in theatres - they aren't profitable. I only ever recall one suck film being in theatres in our area. It was called Crash, a film about people who have a car crash fetish. I think it was in town for about a week.

Did you know that Midnight Cowboy was the only X rated movie ever to win a Best Picture Academy Award?

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Jimbob said...

True, but TONS of X rated movies win GOLDEN GLOBES every year!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Jimbob said...

Hmmm.. that joke sounded a lot funnier in my head than on paper.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Arethusa said...

I chuckled!

"Bad Education" got the dreaded NC 17 rating and I can't wait to see it, since it has GAEL GARCIA BERNAL (mmmmmmm!). Of course I've heard that it's an excellent film about stuff. And it has GAEL GARCIA BERNAL (mmmmmmm!).

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Couch said...

wasnt strip tease the first to recieve nc-17?

i actually wanted to see crash. i was gonna rent it but i could never remember what it was called. sounded like a fun fetish to have. two things i really enjoy anyways... car crashes and sex... both together would be a high flying adenaline pumping tongue splitting adventure.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jimbob said...

I've seen it in part. Crash was a lot like what I think Lost in Translation would be. That is a poor score on the Jimbob movie rating system.

I never saw the beginning, but the middle was a bit senseless. A random flow of this and that not really ever gaining any plot momentum in any dicernable direction. They like crashing cars and looking at crashed cars and reading about cars that crashed and then fucking soon after because twisted metal and broken glass is really erotic apparently. I like it, I break it, but I don't need it to be complete. These guys did, or no erection.

I think the Jimbob shallow un-cultured movie system might make an interesting post. Maybe I'll do a couple reviews.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home