Thursday, January 06, 2005

To Pack Heat or Not to Pack Heat

We were having a discussion at work yesturday about guns. Basically it was everybody vs one guy and the argument was, is owning a gun a good thing?

The guy's argument for it was simple, "I want to make sure I'm safe, and if I'm safe about it, no harm will come from it."

He faced a barrage of opposition:
"Odds are you'll do more harm with it then without it."
"A concealed weapon permit forbids you from taking it in a lot of places."
"They make you get fingerprinted!" - (That was mine)
"You'd actually shoot somebody?!"
"Those things are dangerous to have around kids!"
"You'll shoot your EYE out!"

Needless to say it kindof ended in a stalemate. Where nobody really agreed with him and left it alone. But it got me thinking, would I ever pack heat myself?

"Odds are you'll do more harm with it then without it." - Well, the purpose behind such a item is to do harm, that is what a gun does. It's the purpose behind the harm that counts I guess. As a Computer Programming nerd, my physical stats are well below par. I've seen Professional Wrestling, and although I know how to execute a jack knife powerbomb onto the concrete, unless it's a 90 pound midget, I'm probably going to have issues. I guess if I had the choice between getting robbed and bustin caps, I'd bust caps.

"A concealed weapon permit forbids you from taking it in a lot of places." - Well, I have no idea. I probably wouldn't get one anyways. I'm a reletively law abiding citizen otherwise and wouldn't likely get caught unless the outline was clearly visible in my pants or something.

"They make you get fingerprinted!" - The idea of actually being on record doesn't appeal to me. What if something fucks up and I get pinned for a crime or something. What if I actually do commit a crime and don't want to get caught? What if the ink poisons my blood? What if I come home after and my wife thinks I was out at some ink fetish gathering? Too many what ifs, besides I wouldn't get a CCW anyways. They're stupid.

"You'd actually shoot somebody?!" - Then I'd giggle and reload. A criminal takes a chance when he attacks somebody. When a criminal dicks with somebody, they take a risk that this person is going to fuck them up. The law says you have the right to defend yourself and the life of another. When some guy says gimme your wallet and has a weapon or takes a swing at me, the law says I can paint my car with his brains.

"Those things are dangerous to have around kids!" - Well, if you let your kid have easy access to them they are. They make digital safes now. You can lock your piece away behind a six digit code and your kid will never get in. Plus, those things are quick to get into in the event of a burglary. My other point is both I and even more so my wife grew up around guns and never had an incident. Me because dad said if you touch this (rifle) I'll beat the hell out of you and my wife because of a locked safe. Be smart and nothing bad will happen. All those stories of kids getting killed is because the kid had easy access to something they shouldn't.

"You'll shoot your EYE out!" - Beware the richochets when giving Black Bart his.

All in all, I think I would own a gun just as an equalizer against assholes that would threaten my life and the lives of people I know. If big brother wanted a stool sample before I got own though I'd probably think twice.

3 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Couch said...

i would probably own a gun, if i didnt have to have my finger prints taken. i've gone hunting before and i don't particularily care for them. i much prefer archery. but they are probably better for killing people. i prefer my car for that though.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Mista Collins said...

I would like to own a gun just because I would like to go to the range and shoot it.

I would put a wager on the fact that since we have a right to bear arms, the crime rate is slightly lower. I bet there are some people who want to be criminals but are afraid they might run into someone with a gun. So they decide to sit at home and make quilts instead.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Couch said...

well it never really seemed to bother me... but i always found that the quilts were good for wrapping up the blood soaked bodies of my victims. plus when you hide them in the dump, people are less likely to notice then if you just throw a raped and bloody naked body in there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home